Monday, October 5, 2009

The Teaching Side of my Life . . .

Just so you all know, I have my own blog as well:

Jessica Leigh

Which you are free to read for a more complete update on my life ;)

As for teaching . . . I've had some interesting adventures!
For those of you who don't know, I'm teaching 1st Grade out in West Valley City (Granite SD) and despite having tagged myself for the older kids -- I love it!

But, I will never name a child Gabriel. Ever.

Why?

We'll summarize it this way:

- He learned in Kindergarten that if he misbehaves enough he "gets" to stay home and play games (it's called suspension -- it's supposed to be a punishment) and had this "reward" within two weeks of school.

- Throwing chairs, climbing on/hanging off/jumping off furniture, breaking other kids crayons, coloring on the cubbies, running away -- all considered normal.

- Try to talk to him -- he'll "turn [his] ears off".

Mind you, he can be absolutely perfect . . . if he ever feels so inclined . . . and that's a big if. (Ok, anytime I'd mention there were only a couple minutes until recess, he'd shape up -- thinking he could somehow still go?)

We tried everything.
So now, he's in a safe school until at least the middle of November.

We've been VERY productive the past couple weeks!

I also have a very wide spread. One boy can't even speak in full sentences (and no, he's not ELL) and a couple are still learning their letters. On the other end of the spectrum, I've got one girl who writes stories in her spare time, spells almost everything correct and I'm constantly giving her altered math assignments.

And I have a 6-year-old "boyfriend". He's my little low boy (not the one who can't speak in full sentences) and he melts your heart. He likes to tell me I'm beautiful :)

6-year-olds are such morale boosters! You get a lot of hugs from these little dears! Even those who are trouble-makers . . . they still love you after you get mad at them.

The other day, they were working on their self-starter and one of them came up randomly to give me a hug -- and they all followed! I felt so loved!

So far, I've also survived SEP Conferences (no yelling parents!) and a VERY WET field trip!

Life is grand, ain't it?

☼☼☼

No comments:

Post a Comment